The Invisible Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

“Chapel Perilous, that vortex where cosmological speculations, coincidences, and paranoia seem to multiply and then collapse, compelling belief or lunacy, wisdom or agnosticism.” ~Robert Anton Wilson

2 posters

Adam Curtis' - The Trap: What Happened to Our Dream of Freedom (documentary)

Lucid Memes
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Adam Curtis' - The Trap: What Happened to Our Dream of Freedom (documentary) Empty Adam Curtis' - The Trap: What Happened to Our Dream of Freedom (documentary)

Post by Lucid Memes Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:52 pm

This is one of my favorite documentaries of all time. Curtis is seen as a documentarian but should also be given equal (if not more) credit for being a modern historian. There are a long of concepts here that I'd probably be skeptical about if I were to hear it by word-of-mouth, but Curtis always amazes me by getting actual video proof as evidence of influential quotes that you almost wouldn't believe if you didn't see the person say it on film. And he does this, not just in The Trap, but in his other films as well. But I think The Trap ranks as one of his bests. Enjoy Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Part 1 "Fuck You Buddy"

A series of films by BAFTA-winning producer Adam Curtis that tells the story of the rise of today's narrow idea of freedom. It will show how a simplistic model of human beings as self-seeking, almost robotic, creatures led to today's idea of freedom. This model was derived from ideas and techniques developed by nuclear strategists during the Cold War. It was then taken up by genetic biologists, anthropologists, radical psychiatrists and free market economists, until it became a new system of invisible control. With some strong language.

Part 2 "The Lonely Robot"
    Adam Curtis continues his series of films explaining the origins of our contemporary, narrow and limited idea of freedom. This episode tells the story of how, in the 1990s, politicians from both right and left tried to apply an idea of freedom modeled on the freedom of the market to all other areas of society. Behind it was a scientific model of ourselves as simplified robots, rational calculating beings whose behavior and even feelings could be predicted by numbers. Out of this came today's systems of management - from performance targets to the new categories of mental disorder, and reading the genetic codes buried inside us.

Part 3 "We Will Force You To Be Free"
    Part three, "We Will Force You To Be Free," starts with the concepts of negative and positive freedom, that is freedom from and freedom to. It goes on to how the rhetoric of freedom has been used by revolutionaries to justify violence, by the neo-cons to justify "shock therapy" in Eastern Europe and more recently in Iraq, with horrific consequences. Certainly one of the most thought-provoking and intelligent films of recent times.

Extant
    Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-04-04

Adam Curtis' - The Trap: What Happened to Our Dream of Freedom (documentary) Empty Re: Adam Curtis' - The Trap: What Happened to Our Dream of Freedom (documentary)

Post by Extant Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:10 pm

All good stuff!

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:32 am