The Invisible Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

“Chapel Perilous, that vortex where cosmological speculations, coincidences, and paranoia seem to multiply and then collapse, compelling belief or lunacy, wisdom or agnosticism.” ~Robert Anton Wilson

4 posters

The Wire.......

missingyoumadly
    missingyoumadly
    Blue Belt
    Blue Belt

Number of posts : 345
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

The Wire....... Empty The Wire.......

Post by missingyoumadly Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:35 am

I have always had an interest in true crime, but true crime TV shows (like Law and Order) totally get on my nerves because they are unrealistic and cheesy. Lucid Memes turned me on to the HBO series The Wire, and we have been watching up to season two.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

From Wiki:
    Each season of The Wire focuses on a different facet of the city of Baltimore. They are, in order: the drug trade, the port, the city government and bureaucracy, the school system, and the print news media. The large cast consists mainly of character actors who are little known for their other roles. Simon has said that despite its presentation as a crime drama, the show is "really about the American city, and about how we live together. It's about how institutions have an effect on individuals, and how whether you're a cop, a longshoreman, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge or a lawyer, you are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution you've committed to."
    source

A few interesting bits of info to note:

- The show was conceived and written by David Simon, who is a former police reporter. Unlike the mainstream crime dramas (CSI, Law and Order) the Wire attempts to create realistic views of how the system works.

- The realism is so poignant that it has been said that criminals watch the Wire to learn how the police gather pertinent information, to avoid being caught in their crimes. (I had heard that shows like L&O/CSI were bad for the justice system, because juries think that those shows are real...that DNA evidence can be obtained in a commercial break, etc...this show isn't so much about forensics (although it does cover the topic) It is much deeper than that.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Extant
    Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-04-04

The Wire....... Empty Re: The Wire.......

Post by Extant Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:50 am

Yes, I think I have to see this series.
    missingyoumadly
    missingyoumadly
    Blue Belt
    Blue Belt

Number of posts : 345

Post by missingyoumadly Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:52 am

I will give you fair warning. I am NOT a TV watcher, but this show is addictive. Seriously, ask Lucid what he's doing tonight lol.
    Lucid Memes
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111

Post by Lucid Memes Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:10 pm

Yeah, I've been hearing about how good this show was for years. I don't think any person that's seen it, had told me that this show wasn't the best that they'd ever watched. So I finally decided to crack into it, and it did not disappoint. It takes a reductionist view of the underbelly of city corruption. Examining the criminal underworld, organized crime, judicial and political fraud, the prison system, crooked cops, the breakdown of the middle class, and the misleading education system and newsmedia institutions. But perhaps above all, the War on Drugs is exposed for the waste of time and human lives it really is. The institutions that claim to oppose the drug trade are simultaneously the institutions that aid the narco-business in almost every way possible.

We're only a bit more than halfway through the 2nd season, so no spoilers if anyone's already watched lol. 3 more seasons to go! woot!
    Lucid Memes
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111

Post by Lucid Memes Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:23 am

Just finished watching the 3rd season last night and it seems that a good portion of the story has just wrapped up to a large degree. It was quite amazing the tangled web the story weaved and experiments the writers explored with. I'm just glad I can watch it online and the episodes back to back instead of week to week when the show was still on air lol. I hear seasons 4 and 5 are better...is that even possible?
    Renew
    White Belt
    White Belt

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2010-09-02

Post by Renew Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:32 pm

The whole series was amazing. Sadly it ended, but at least it did not drag on and lose its expectations.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 11:28 am