The Invisible Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

“Chapel Perilous, that vortex where cosmological speculations, coincidences, and paranoia seem to multiply and then collapse, compelling belief or lunacy, wisdom or agnosticism.” ~Robert Anton Wilson

4 posters

Commenmorative Stones Of the Washington Monument

intrepidpixie
    intrepidpixie
    Orange Belt
    Orange Belt

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Commenmorative Stones Of the Washington Monument Empty Commenmorative Stones Of the Washington Monument

Post by intrepidpixie Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:19 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The 555 foot tall Washington Monument was built between 1848 and 1884 as a tribute to George Washington's military leadership in the Revolutionary War. The cornerstone was laid with an elaborate masonic ceremony in 1848. I`ve been to D.C. many times in my travels, but never been able to ascend to the top, as it`s always been closed when I was there.
    There are apparently 193 commemorative stones embedded in the granite walls of the internal stairway. The donors of these stones are all 50 states , various municipalities, private companies and organizations, the Cherokee Nation, individual citizens, and various foreign governments. I was looking at pictures of all the stones from the various states, almost all of which are donated by Masonic Grand Lodges. The first was the Grand Lodge of the District of Columbia and placed at the 50 foot landing. Then I came across this curious one. There is no explanation of who donated it or the meaning of it`s inscription. It is embedded at the 340 foot level. I`m not certain whether it means Roma in America or From Roma to America?? Does anyone know what this phrase means? Here is the website where you can peruse through the photo archives of all the stones. It`s rather interesting.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Lucid Memes
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Commenmorative Stones Of the Washington Monument Empty Re: Commenmorative Stones Of the Washington Monument

Post by Lucid Memes Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:17 am

It would help to try to piece it together by understanding what language the spelling of "Americae" is derived from...and it turns out it's either Scottish or Latin

Which is significant either way because the Scotch-Irish and ancient Rome contribute crucial development ideals which guide the development and direction of America's purpose in the world
    Extant
    Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-04-04

Commenmorative Stones Of the Washington Monument Empty Re: Commenmorative Stones Of the Washington Monument

Post by Extant Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:25 am

Not conversant with the Latin. But using Babylon translation software the best it can come up with is:

By Rome in America.

Or most probably:

From Rome to America.

But that is a guess on interpreting different results, and not being familiar with the language.
    intrepidpixie
    intrepidpixie
    Orange Belt
    Orange Belt

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by intrepidpixie Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:14 am

The only reference I could find is a fictional tale by Melanie Howard called "A Roma Americae". In the tale she suggests Pope Pius IX himself sent it to Washington DC. and is a genuine block from the Temple of Concord. It`s basically a short story about the Irish Catholics and the rising American party called the "Know-Nothings" (who I do remember actually was some secret society who oversaw the initial construction of the Washington Monument)
    I think it is Latin. But it would be nice to have a Babylonian phrase translator- I didn`t know there was such a thing.
    Very Happy
    Extant
    Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-04-04

Post by Extant Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:08 am

intrepidpixie wrote:I think it is Latin. But it would be nice to have a Babylonian phrase translator- I didn`t know there was such a thing.
    Very Happy

Laughing
    missingyoumadly
    missingyoumadly
    Blue Belt
    Blue Belt

Number of posts : 345

Post by missingyoumadly Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:51 am

Could it be AS Rome, America?

If it is, then we need to get the fuck out of here. pale
    Lucid Memes
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111

Post by Lucid Memes Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:41 pm

missingyoumadly wrote:Could it be AS Rome, America?

If it is, then we need to get the fuck out of here. pale

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I see what you mean

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:50 am