The Invisible Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

“Chapel Perilous, that vortex where cosmological speculations, coincidences, and paranoia seem to multiply and then collapse, compelling belief or lunacy, wisdom or agnosticism.” ~Robert Anton Wilson

4 posters

Cults Cults Cults!!!

Lucid Memes
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Cults Cults Cults!!! Empty Cults Cults Cults!!!

Post by Lucid Memes Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:25 am

Use this thread as an archive regarding information about cults, cult psychology and awareness for prevention

Them and Us: Cult Thinking and the Terrorist Threat

Spoiler:

source - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

After listening to many variants of this story, I began to see that cults form and thrive not because people are crazy, but because they have two kinds of wishes. They want a meaningful life, to serve God or humanity; and they want to be taken care of, to feel protected and secure, to find a home. The first motives may be laudable and constructive, but the latter exert a corrupting effect, enabling cult leaders to elicit behavior directly opposite to the idealistic vision with which members entered the group.

Usually, in psychiatry and psychology, the wish to be taken care of (to find a home, a parent) is called dependency and this is a rather damning label when applied to adults. Adults are not supposed to be dependent in that way, relying on another as a child would rely on a mother or father. We are supposed to be autonomous, self-sustaining, with the capacity to go it alone. We do recognize that adults need each other for emotional support, for giving and receiving affection, for validation; that is acceptable and sanctioned. But underlying such mature interdependency is the longing of the child, a yearning that is never completely outgrown. This covert dependency — the wish to have parents and the parallel wish to be loved, admired, and sheltered by one’s group — continues throughout life in everyone. These wishes generate a hidden fantasy or dream that can transform a leader into a strong, wise, protective parent and a group into a close accepting family. Within that dream we feel secure.

The wish to ride in the back seat of the car — the dependency dream — has great strength and tenacity. It should be recognized as a permanent part of the human psyche even though in adults it ceases to be as visible as it is in childhood. This dream is dangerous because in its most extreme form it generates cults and makes people vulnerable to exploitation, regression, and even violence. Even in the less intense, less obvious manifestations which occur in everyday society, the dependency dream may impair our ability to think realistically. If we recognize our dependent wishes for what they are we can make appropriate corrections in thought and behavior, but usually we do not. Rather, we engage in thinking and behavior more subtle than that of the People's Temple but qualitatively similar. The back seat of the car does not carry us home.

Eventually, we in the seminar were unable to maintain the belief that cults were something apart from normal society. The people telling us stories of violence, cruelty, and perversion of values were like ourselves. After listening and questioning we realized that we were not different from nor superior to the ex-cult members, that we were vulnerable to the same dependency wishes, capable of the same betrayals and cruelty in circumstances in which our sense of reality was manipulated.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

About the motivations for joining a cult

Spoiler:

The 4 Basic Cult Behaviors

Spoiler:

THE VALUE OF AWARENESS

It is important that both the therapist and the ex-cult member be able to see that cult behaviors are endemic in our society. Such awareness can protect the therapist from the influence of such behaviors and allow ex-cult members to realize that they are not freaks, weak and dependent persons, or fools. Rather, they were s led astray by unconscious wishes that they share with all human beings. These wishes were stimulated at a time when they were N especially vulnerable and under circumstances that any person might have found difficult to combat.

CONCLUSION

Cult behavior reflects the wish for a loving, accepting sibling group that is protected and cherished by a powerful, omnipotent parent. The problem with such a wish and its accompanying fantasy is that no human being can fill the role of the superparent, and adults can never again be children. To preserve the fantasy, reality must be distorted, because of .this distortion, cult behavior results in a loss of realism. In the more extreme cases, the consequences can be drastic. Diminished realism is a problem in any situation, however, and for this reason, cult behavior is costly no matter where it takes place: affecting business decisions, governmental deliberations, day-to-day relationships in the community, or the practice of psychotherapy. Fortunately, awareness of these cult behaviors offers protection from their influence. Psychotherapists can foster that awareness, benefiting patients, themselves, and society.

Last edited by Lucid Memes on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
    Lucid Memes
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Cults Cults Cults!!! Empty Re: Cults Cults Cults!!!

Post by Lucid Memes Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:27 am

here's sort of a cult creation mockumentary
    Lucid Memes
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:52 am

The Nine Symptoms of Cult Influence

In the same way that a doctor looks for symptoms to help detect a disease, the following symptoms warn us that a family member or friend may have come under the influence of a cult. Of course, not all of these show up in every case, but they provide a red flag that something may be wrong. No single symptom may be conclusive, but you should be suspicious if you see several of the following symptoms together--and remember that the more quickly cult influence is detected, the easier the rescue.

1 Personality changes: Do you find yourself saying, "He's a different person," or, "I don't know her anymore"? Destructive cults successfully replace their members' personalities with new identities.

2 Dramatic shifts of values or beliefs: Of course, values and beliefs change gradually over a lifetime--but psychological research has shown that beliefs and values are highly resistant to dramatic short-term change. Such radical changes require extreme situational influences such as those provided by skilled cult leaders.

3 Changes in diet or sleep patterns: Cults will often restrict the diet and sleep of members, possibly in an effort to hamper normal, rational thought processing. In addition, the vegetarian diets commonly required by cult leaders allow the cults to feed members cheaply.

4 Refusal to attend important family events: Family members pose a strong threat to the influence of the cult. As such, many cults refuse to allow members to attend family events such as marriages, sick relatives, graduations, etc.

5 Inability to make decisions without consulting a cult leader or guru: One of the signs of dependency upon a cult leader is the loss of personal autonomy.

6 Sudden use of a new ideology to explain everything: Like a harpist playing an instrument with a single string, a cult member uses his or her new ideology to explain the entire world--even when it's wildly inappropriate.

7 Black and white, simplistic reasoning: Underneath all the complicated jargon, you'll find a cult recruit dividing his or her world into 'good' and 'bad'. The shades of grey in which we all live are usually intolerable to a cult member.

8 New vocabulary: Is the person suddenly using complex jargon to obscure irrational or simplistic thinking? (Although this could merely be a sign of attending graduate school!)

9 Insistence that you do what they are doing: Recruitment is one of the first duties a new cult member is given. It consolidates the recruits beliefs while it inflates the cult's ranks.

source - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Detecting destructive cults: The key questions to ask

If you've encountered an organization that has raised your suspicion, Steve Hassan recommends a number of questions you can ask to determine if the organization may be a cult.

What's the background of the leader of the organization? Does the leader have a criminal record?

Here are some previous professions of cult leaders: carnival barker, used car & encyclopedia salesman, science fiction writer. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with these occupations, but they provide an unusual resume for a spiritual leader. What all these occupations have in common, however, is that they're influence professions. Many cult leaders learned the tricks of the trade in a previous career. Some have run afoul of the law.

hmmmmmm...any thoughts?
    Extant
    Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-04-04

Post by Extant Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:09 pm

I was going to post just this kind of info the other day for some reason. I can't think what prompted me do want to do so... Wink

But I got sidetracked.

There's a lot to read here, I only browsed. I shall return later. Smile
    Extant
    Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Post by Extant Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:20 pm

I read it. I knew Kealey was con man and a cult leader some time ago. Nice to have this sort of thing spelt out though. But this guy is most probably correct concerning the human tendency towards such behaviour, as well society across the baord, and its genesis in childhood trauma, psychological scarring, and a powerful need for acceptance and protection. "To ride in the backseat of the car," being an apt analogy.

Or should I say allegory? Wink Cool
    Lucid Memes
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Haha!

The information here is pretty much a slam dunk if you ask me.

Considering the nature of our research, you'd think people who investigate corruption would actually be somewhat immune to these types of tendencies; seeing as cult-like behavior is so common amongst issues of political and religious corruption in the subjects we research. You could almost simplify large scale authoritarianism (political & religious) as a massive cult, with its leaders and followers. So why can't some people use their analogizing or allegorical skills to notice these things on smaller levels? I don't really need an answer to this question, for it is already answered in the posts above, but it's interesting nonetheless.
    Extant
    Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Post by Extant Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:00 pm

Its good info, but it still won't get through to those it concerns. Crying or Very sad
    Koolvedge
    Koolvedge
    White Belt
    White Belt

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2009-12-24

Post by Koolvedge Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:45 pm

I think patriotism is a cult...
    missingyoumadly
    missingyoumadly
    Blue Belt
    Blue Belt

Number of posts : 345

Post by missingyoumadly Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:23 pm

Koolvedge wrote:I think patriotism is a cult...

I think that depends on your definition of a patriot. I tend to shy away from calling myself patriotic for that reason though. Being "patriotic" seems to define a person as being true to their country regardless of what that country stands for. I am patriotic in the sense that I believe in the people of my nation, not that I necessarily believe in my government or cultural ideologies.

These days there are so many meaningless words used to describe people's ideology: consider the word "nazi" and how it is bandied about as if people really have an idea of what it means. (soup nazi?) Patriot is the same, and it is a category I'd rather not be in.
    Koolvedge
    Koolvedge
    White Belt
    White Belt

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2009-12-24

Post by Koolvedge Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:37 am

"The pioneers of a warless world are the young men and women who refuse military service." "Peace cannot be achieve through war, it must reached through understanding." {A. Einstein} I'm a veteran and have seen too many horrors of what patriotism, propaganda, and following a criminal enterprise disguised as a country can to do a young mind and those who are more privileged than others in this society. Emma Goldman said it best, "The love of one country leads to the hate of another", what a great mind she was, and the warmongering patriots suppress her books. They are nazi's in disguise. Coming from the standpoint of someone who fought for many freedoms I am not allowed to enjoy lets me see through lies very easy, if I am willing to look.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 10:00 pm